Re: QEMU guests can ping but can't access host

On Sat, 04 Sep 2021 18:08:18 -0500
"David Palacio" <debian@david.palacio.io> wrote:

> I have compared my previous install nft ruleset and installed
> packages list with the current install and found that firewalld
> wasn't installed in the working system but ufw was. The nft ruleset
> was nearly identical save for the missing firewalld rules.
>
> And so after purging firewalld, plasma-firewall and installing ufw
> the VM guest can communicate with the host.

Excellent. Good detective work.

> This was odd, though. I had already uninstalled firewalld and
> restarted the system before in an attempt to fix the issue only to
> find the VM couldn't access *anything* then. Maybe the installation
> of ufw helps somehow or plasma-firewall breaks something.

Ah. That is because routing between the two networks is usually shut
off by default. The firewall software usually silently takes care of
that for you.

> Thank you for trying to help me.

You are welcome.

And I've learned something also, that comparing packages installed
might be useful. Thank you.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com