Re: How to manually install WiFi firmware on Debian Live?

On Sat, 2021-03-13 at 10:04 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:
> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Anssi Saari wrote:
> >
> > > udevadm trigger is the command to run to simulate plugging in the wifi
> > > adapter after you have the firmware available. I don't think modprobe
> > > loads firmware.

> > unloading the driver, unloads the firmware
>
> > both done with modprobe.
>
> Are they? Show me. What I'm saying is modprobe doesn't load firmware and
> udev does since that was the observed behavior here.

That doesn't seem to be the standard method for the last 9 years,
see...

https://lwn.net/Articles/518942/
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/5/175

>From reading those it appears that if firmware is in the correct
filesystem location, then user space won't be involved any more with
its loading.

Maybe the old ways are still enabled in Debian and used in some cases?
My bullseye kernel does have the kernel config enabled for user side
firmware loaders, I've not looked at udev.

--
Tixy