Re: How to manually install WiFi firmware on Debian Live?

Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z <santiagopinth@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I tried to make a "Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0
> Network Adapter" work on Debian 10 Live with LXDE, but I couldn't.
> Here is what I already have tried:
>
> 1-. Downloaded package firmware-realtek from package.debian.org.
> 2-. Booted Debian Live.
> 3-. Copied package from hard disk to the desktop (apt complains when
> I load it directly).
> 4-. Executed: sudo apt install firmware-realtek
> 5-. Executed: sudo depmod -a
> 6-. Executed: sudo modprobe r8712u
>
> Then, Wicd didn't show anything.  I ran udevadm, I don't remember how,
> to see if the USB WiFi adapter was detected; it was and also
> the module r8712u was loaded for it.

udevadm trigger is the command to run to simulate plugging in the wifi
adapter after you have the firmware available. I don't think modprobe
loads firmware.

Alternatively you can just unplug and plug the adapter after installing
the firmware.

But if you did this and it still doesn't work I'm pretty much out of
ideas. Does dmesg report anything relevant to network or realtek? For
example I get this when my new system boots:

r8169 0000:03:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware rtl_nic/rtl8125b-2.fw