Re: Peak load handling by Debian repository servers ????

On 2021-12-26 at 09:28, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 12/26/2021 08:22 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 08:15:54AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> How does Debian repository distribute load during peaks?
>>> Where/how is this documented?
>>>
>>> Consider the case when many users may specify the same URL in sources.list .
>>> If they all try to install packages at the same time there could be
>>> problems. How does a particular user know which physical server provided a
>>> particular package?
>>>
>>> I have a problem that could be explained by different users receiving
>>> packages from different servers. My web searches and other posts have been
>>> futile. I need background information to be able to ask an answerable
>>> question.
>>>
>>> Appropriate documentation URL?
>>> TIA
>>
>> deb.debian.org is a distributed network of mirrors based on geolocation
>>
>> It should be absolutely immaterial which server provided which package
>> logs may tell you which mirror apt-get queried.
>>
>> All the very best, as ever
>>
>> Andy Cater
>
> *Appropriate documentation URL?*

Given the information which he provided for you, above, why would you
think there is any appropriate documentation to which a URL could be
provided?

If (as he indicated) which server a package comes from should be
immaterial, then there would be no reason to create documentation about
how to determine that, much less about any other aspect. As such, there
may not be any relevant document for a URL to point to.

Is there a reason you don't provide the explanation/description of the
actual problem you're encountering, so that people can try to identify
possible explanations and solutions for it? You yourself wrote that the
problem only "could be explained by" the model you've settled on; since
there's a chance that that might not explain it, wouldn't it be better
to let people try to look for alternative possible explanations?

--
   The Wanderer will, as usual, probably regret this