Documentation reference: [WAS Re: Peak load handling by Debian repository servers ????]

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 08:28:17AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 12/26/2021 08:22 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 08:15:54AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > How does Debian repository distribute load during peaks?
> > > Where/how is this documented?
> > >
> > > Consider the case when many users may specify the same URL in sources.list .
> > > If they all try to install packages at the same time there could be
> > > problems. How does a particular user know which physical server provided a
> > > particular package?
> > >
> > > I have a problem that could be explained by different users receiving
> > > packages from different servers. My web searches and other posts have been
> > > futile. I need background information to be able to ask an answerable
> > > question.
> > >
> > > Appropriate documentation URL?
> > > TIA
> > >

> > deb.debian.org is a distributed network of mirrors based on geolocation
> >
> > It should be absolutely immaterial which server provided which package
> > logs may tell you which mirror apt-get queried.
> >
> > All the very best, as ever
> >
> > Andy Cater
>
> *Appropriate documentation URL?*

Richard

https://www.debian.org/mirror/list explains that you can use a mirror that's
backed by a global CDN [content delivery network]

http://deb.debian.org/

Suggests that these are backed by Fastly and Cloudflare: Fastly supports
at least their instance

https://www.fastly.com/

Search terms: deb.debian.org package mirror

Hope this helps - all the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater