Re: Slow disk reads - exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x6b0000 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

On 24.12.2021 20:31, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
/dev/sdb is an HDD (which holds my "user data").

Should I be worried?

root@s19:~# smartctl -A /dev/sdb | grep -E '5 Realloc|183 Runtime|197
Current|199 UDMA'
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
-       12
root@s19:~#

Attribute #5 shows if the drive in question ever encountered and successfully remapped a 'bad block'. In your case it happened at least 12 times.
They could've happen a few years ago, drive's firmware recovered from them and it was working fine ever since¹.
But they also could've happen recently within a few days and in that case the drive is failing and should be replaced ASAP.

For future investigation you should see full output of:
    # smartctl -A /dev/sdb

And also SMART logs, to see when was last media error encountered:
    # smartctl -l error /dev/sda

For now one thing is certain, your HDD had media errors, is not reliable² and you should have a good backup of data from it.
It's good idea to configure 'smartd' on all hosts to monitor health state of your drives and notify you by mail if something happened.

¹ I have a 320GB HDD for a five years with, I think, contaminated platter. When it tries to read from some LBA range it fails with media errors, but if I request to read past that LBA range it works fine.
As a workaround, I've repartitioned it effectively cutting off that faulty LBA range (around 50GB) and use it as a portable drive to carry some not important data and to store additional backup copies.
I always expect it to die, but it still works fine to this day.

² Any hardware, despite being new or old, could fail at any time. Always expect failure and have a good backup.
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org