Re: Filesystem and free space

* 2021-12-12 14:13:19-0500, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

> How can I ensure that user (or a software being run by a user that
> goes crazy) doesn't fill up the whole filesystem ?

Commands mkfs.ext4 and tune2fs have this option:

    -m reserved-blocks-percentage
           Set the percentage of the filesystem which may only be
           allocated by privileged processes. Reserving some number of
           filesystem blocks for use by privileged processes is done to
           avoid filesystem fragmentation, and to allow system daemons,
           such as syslogd(8), to continue to function correctly after
           non-privileged processes are prevented from writing to the
           filesystem. Normally, the default percentage of reserved
           blocks is 5%.

See the last sentence. By default normal users can't fill the entire
space. Use tune2fs to change options for an existing file system.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/