Filesystem and free space

Hi,
I've learned thru this mailing list that it was something "from decades
ago" to create a filesystem for /tmp, /var, /home, /usr, etc unless
really needed. I must admit it make sense and I'd be better served by
either a one partition or only a /home separate.

Now here's my question :
How can I ensure that user (or a software being run by a user that goes
crazy) doesn't fill up the whole filesystem ?
I know there's quota but what I want to ensure is simply that no user
can write to disk unless there's at least 2 GB left free on partition.
Is this possible ?

Thanks
And happy new years / Christmas / whatever you do take some time off.
--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside