cups problems in bullseye

I have reconfigured one of the 3 copies cups discovered for ipp-Everywhere
getting this in the printer menu:

Location:coyote.coyote.den
Driver:MFC-J6920DW - IPP Everywhere (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/
Defaults:job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=two-sided-long-edge

but when I goto the maintenance tab an try to print a test page, cups
does not accept me as user and my passwd that works for logins and
sudo on a rootless system. All I can do is cancel. This is a VERY OLD
problem I've been saddled with since at least wheezy. I assume from
the tcp.local above its trying to use the printers net address, not its
usb. Both are connected but the net connection is slower than the usb.
Or I should say that was on stretch. This is bullseye now.

The brother drivers, updated for bullseye are installed but don't work
at all well. no duplex and about 15x slower than stretches install.

Andy, plz remove your PM when posting to debian-user, firefox makes
it very difficult to put the list address as the To: without starting a new,
blank msg. It puts the list in the Cc: box and will not copy/paste it
to the To: box w/o stripping at the @.

Cheers, Gene