Re: Update Debian 9 to 10

I though about that too, that the video card somehow could have affected the update somehow regarding DE.

The VGA compatible controller entry of lspci is NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] (rev a1)

I don't remember anything about firmware during the installation.

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 7:12 PM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 06:24:19PM +0200, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies.
>
> I managed to complete the installation (run also apt full-upgrade
> successfully) and then reboot.
> After the update the system boots only with the ttys (1-6) and not with a
> graphical interface, and by that I mean that I tried to change to the
> graphical interface with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.
> I verified that Debian 10.10 was installed , ran cleaning commands, reboot
> again but again I can only access ttys and not the Graphical Interface.
>
> Is there any possibility that a graphical environment has not been
> installed at all?
>
> All the update procedures that I have seen, do not have extra steps. What
> am I missing?

Can you tell us your video hardware?

Is there any firmware needed somewhere along the line?

Having safely updated to 10, you could update to 11 now and then
run tasksel to check what's installed.

DO READ RELEASE NOTES BEFORE UPGRADING [just in case anything changes -
10 -> 11 has some diffferent stanzas for /etc/apt/sources.list

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater