OT: SSL Negotiation Failed

For the last couple of days, when I try to open a link (to a web page) from an
email in my older version of kmail I get a message that says:

Could not connect to host <hostname>.  SSL negotiation failed.

If I paste the same link directly in the address bar of Firefox, the link
works fine.

The kmail I use is an older version Wheezy (1.13.7 in kde 4.8.4) (and yes, I
have plans to eventually move away from Wheezy -- I even have the hardware for
a new machine).  (I have a Jessie machine, and kmail and some other things are
aggravating on Jessie (crashes (well, locks up)

Can anybody shed more light on this.

I thought I saw a post on one of the mail lists I read about some problem with
SSL, but I haven't been able to find it again.  It may have had something to do
with changing the protocol that kmail uses to talk to gmail?  That doesn't
really make sense to me, I mean, what would that have to do with it?