Re: Telegram [not Re: Telegraph book?

On 05/12/2021 00:04, Tom Browder wrote:
On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 12:26 piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> wrote:
You want to use Telegram messaging instead of e-mail for your college
class? That's no problem at all. Just install "telegram-desktop" package

Well, the interfaces I've seen don't look very organized (I should
look at the Deb app before I comment).  I also want to automate
read-only, outgoing msgs when I update my website.

Telegram Desktop interface is very well organized (not by default). Just
make sure to enable folders, to separate groups, channels, contacts,
non-contacts, bots etc. to separate folders. This is client-side
setting. Make life easier to heavy telegram user.

Note I meant to say "classmates" who are in their late 70s mostly, and
a few in their early 80s. I would say at least a quarter of them
aren't techy regarding smartphones and modern apps. Some have to
struggle with spreadsheets, and our brains are slowing down, so I need
to approach this carefully. That's why I want to do some more
research.

In that case I can't help I think. If it's people in their 70-80s, I'd
stick to e-mail solution, they are most likely more familiar with it,
and totally unfamiliar with Telegram. They will be completely lost
there, don't they?

Apparently there is a second edition of one of the Python cookbooks
that discusses automating Telegram, so I was hoping to find a Debian
user familiar with it to see if it's worth buying.

I am still not sure what you want to automate on Telegram, when to my
understanding that will be some read-only (channel) or low-frequency
(group) chat with few people in their 70-80s.

Thanks, Piotr, I will have to do some work with my Buster
laptop--perhaps it's time to upgrade.

Sure :) When you upgrade do Bullseye, make sure you enable
bullseye-backports repository and install Telegram via "sudo apt install
telegram-desktop -t bullseye-backports", otherwise it won't work,
version in main repository has been obsoleted server-side. Once you
install Telegram from backports, it will be updating itself nicely
alongside with rest of the system.

Blessings,

-Tom

Good luck!