Re: Avoid rebooting server to gain back RS232 connection

On 12/1/2021 5:00 PM, Joe wrote:
On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 07:10:49 -0700
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2021 09:14:11 +0100
john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:

I'm using a RS232 cable to connect to a server everything is
properly set up and works fine.
For some reasons I lost the connection to my server that is I can
not control the server using serial console.

In other words, how can I reconnect when the cable has been
disconnected

The first thing I would do is find out why your cable is being
disconnected, and see to it that it does not happen again.

But why RS-232? Why not SSH over Internet Protocol (IP)? If it's a
server, it should have some sort of networking.

Original information is indeed scarce. The OP mentions using a serial
console, but that may have been for troubleshooting, and we do not know
if the console is the usual client.

Many proper servers have at least an option of an RS-232 connection
into the BIOS or equivalent, allowing remote control of BIOS parameters
and rebooting when necessary. It's an unfitted option on my HP
microserver. Many UPS devices have an RS-232 connection to a server to
notify of loss of mains, low battery etc. SSH would not normally be an
alternative for these functions.

As Joe has hinted out, I use RS232 for debugging when I screw up my
network!!! :)

After having rebooting the server, I can confirm that plugging and
unplugging the cable works.
I'm not sure what was mest up there but all is well now!

Regarding the involuntary disconnection,, the cable was not properly
inplace which is now the case.

Thanks all for the help.

--
John Doe