Re: Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 09:49:15PM -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
My signature includes an emoji which is configured to be a reasonable
approximation of my appearance.

That does sound like fun, even though curmudgeons like me might consider
it frivolous.  I doubt I'll have a hardware/software combination that's
capable of displaying all of it anytime soon - I still see tofu on my
flip phone - but I'm not trying to stop anyone else from having harmless
fun with it.

I was a little surprised when this side-thread popped up, and I'd
mentally filtered out my signature when reading my own mails. FWIW, the
pencil and anchor render fine for me in my usual mail environment (mutt
in a terminal), but the emoji person and the skin colour swatch are not
combined. They are both individually rendered and in colour, so there's
that. Perhaps one day I'll find that something has changed in the
software stack and they become so! It does render properly via Firefox
in the mailing list archives.

Speaking of colour, I work at Red Hat and I have had 🎩 (U+1F3A9 TOP
HAT) as the shell prompt character for the main RHEL virtual machine I
use for work. At that time, my terminal did not support colour glyphs,
and the font that was used to render that happened to use the Fedora
fedora for that glyph, and I coloured it red using terminal colour
escape codes. Later, IBM bought Red Hat. And at a similar time, I
updated my (Debian) system and gained the ability to display coloured
glyphs. The chosen font to supply that glyph was changed, and my
red-coloured monochrome hat became a blue one. Spooky.

(This whole thing reminded me of a sub-project I have on the backburner
to map the Debian swirl to a spare unicode code-point; or, to U+F000 in
the private use area, where Apple systems display the Apple logo. I got
as far as importing the swirl graphic into a OTF format font.  I should
pick it up!)

Again, my apologies.

No problem. Thank you,

--
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org
🔗	https://jmtd.net