Re: Emoji fonts in Debian [WAS:] Re: How to NOT automatically mount a specific partition of an external device?

On Tue Nov 30 11:54:48 2021 Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 11:54:16AM -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who sees the irony in all this?  We're living
>> in an era where the so-called "woke" generation is taking offence
>> at every perceived slight or sign of racial or sexual discrimination,
>> however minor.  Yet these same people are eagerly leaving behind the
>> originally all-text form of e-mail
>
> Since we're talking about my email signature here, this
> characterisation you've described is meant to be me.  I don't know
> what *I've* done for you to describe me that way, but at best it's
> irrelevant to debian-user. It's perjorative, and I would ask that you
> stop writing perjoratively about me on this mailing list, and go and
> re-read the Code of Conduct for participating in Debian.

I wasn't aiming it specifically at you, but merely pointing out
some conflicting trends that I've been seeing in society at large.
On re-reading the thread, I realize that I did fly off the handle.
Chalk it up to having read one too many news stories about the
Politically Correct 2.0 bullshit that is going on these days.
As the old netiquette guidelines suggest, one shouldn't post
when tired, drunk, or angry.  (I probably qualified for two
of the three.)

I apologize for having offended you; it was not my intent.

>> eagerly leaving behind the originally all-text form of e-mail
>
> Unicode *is* text, as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the point in
> limiting what I write to a 7-bit namespace from the 1960s, even if I
> am fortunate enough that my chosen names are representable in it.

Indeed, I'm an eager adopter of UTF-8 myself.

> in favour of graphics that are gleefully being used to highlight them.
>
> My signature includes an emoji which is configured to be a reasonable
> approximation of my appearance.

That does sound like fun, even though curmudgeons like me might consider
it frivolous.  I doubt I'll have a hardware/software combination that's
capable of displaying all of it anytime soon - I still see tofu on my
flip phone - but I'm not trying to stop anyone else from having harmless
fun with it.

Again, my apologies.

--
cgibbs@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)