new buster install, dvd said 11.,1 but installed 10.1

Plz excuse the foul attitude, one of seagates finest 2T drives ate its own lunch  friday and I'm on web mail. Lost everything but I have backups I cannot access.

apt/synaptic will not let me install any of Trinity, claims I have held broken packages it refuses to name. and synaptics fix-broken does nothing.

so I'm locked out of my normal email, and the repo version of amanda keeps telling me I can't recover a perfectly good backup because
/bin/tar is not secure. WTH?

Where do I start on a new buster net install? The backups are all from stretch. All I want is the data. So how do make /bin/tar usable/secure?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett