Re: new buster install, dvd said 11.,1 but installed 10.1

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 09:10:54AM -0800, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Plz excuse the foul attitude, one of seagates finest 2T drives ate its
> own lunch  friday and I'm on web mail. Lost everything but I have backups
> I cannot access.
>

> apt/synaptic will not let me install any of Trinity, claims I have held
> broken packages it refuses to name. and synaptics fix-broken does nothing.
>

> so I'm locked out of my normal email, and the repo version of amanda
> keeps telling me I can't recover a perfectly good backup because
> /bin/tar is not secure. WTH?
>

> Where do I start on a new buster net install?

Don't. Just don't. Install bullseye. Use the unofficIal firmware included
.iso from http://debian.osuosl.org/debian-cdimage/11.1.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-11.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso - a US mirror so ought to be OK for you:
DVD so that you have the maximum available software available to you to
start with.

I'd really advise you to use the expert install mode if you want to do
anything complex - but that's as much because it is very familiar to me
as anything else. It does ask all the low level questions, though, so is
a good choice when you want to customise anything.

Since Trinity comes from outside Debian main and from a third party, I
would also advise that you not install a desktop environment from Debian
on first pass through the installer but then follow the instructions from
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions

The backups are all from stretch. All I want is the data.
So how do make /bin/tar usable/secure?

PRECISE error message please: there are lots of variables, as ever. Thanks.

Which version of tar are you using? There appears to be a version of tar
internal to amanda and, of course, GNU tar.
[Don't use amanda here]

I'd suggest Bullseye because, although buster remains supported, time is
running down.

> Thanks all.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Please help everyone else on the list understand how well/badly this goes.
Precise error messages or sequences of commands you've run are really
helpful - guesstimates from any of the rest of us in the absence of
information are not always as helpful as they might be.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater