Re: what to do with USB stick that gives badblocks errors

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021, 7:56 AM deloptes <emanoil.kotsev@deloptes.org> wrote:
I'm sure there are many ideas around, but I want to hear your opinion

so there is one USB stick that I noticed started mocking about errors when
booting off.

It's giving you more feedback than one of mine did.  It just timed out on all I/O operations, during an attempted Mint 20 Install (making me think Mint was more Defective than it is.  [Disclaimer:  It does what it needs to do, and is good for a beginner]).

Finally, I smelled a rat, aborted the Mint install and tried to read it on a different machine.

I ran badblocks (without options) and then with -s -n and this produced a
slightly different output.
Is the output resulting from the options or is something really wrong with
the USB

They go bad often. I won't even purchase one from FedEx Office anymore, after so many of theirs failed.

Should I throw it away?

I agree with the other response:  Yes!

If no should I try reformat it

Try that, only for the humor of it.  (I would be surprised if it worked after that).

thanks & regards

You too.

Kenneth Parker