Re: Offtopic: Transfer a programm from DOS to Linux

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021, 12:23 PM Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
Interestingly, it appears that the original author was threatened with
patent infringement of US Patent 5,005,210[1].  It seems as though the
patent may have expired in 2008[2].

Thanks for that, the usual shady story.

Just glancing at the source and from the comments of others, there is
probably some amount of the source that could be usable.  I suspect the
UI and the sound interface would need to be written from scratch as they
are probably Turbo C and Soundblaster specific, respectively.

The thing is, the Soundblaster and the (Commodore? or Curtis?) sound chips in them became a de facto standard. DOS and Windows. There were clone chips and compatible cards, etc.

So the project could have a broad compatibility reach. And you have to wonder if it's been mostly done already.

Still
this would be a very useful tool for those interested in radio frequency
(RF) work, especially with a laptop or SBC (Raspberry Pi, etc.).

- Nate

[1] https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/xmit_id/legal.html
[2] https://patents.google.com/patent/US5005210A/en
[3] https://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/Transmitter_Fingerprinting
[4] https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/dispatch/name/richard-rager-obituary?id=28327105

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB