Re: Offtopic: Transfer a programm from DOS to Linux

On 11/21/21 13:54, Hans wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I know, there are lots of coders here and I have a question. There is an old
> DOS application I found, which is open source and GPL.
>
> As far as I know, this application is written in C, it is running in textmode
> ("ncurses-mode").
>
> Since there is no similar linux based application like this, I wondered, ho
> difficult for an experienced coder it will be, to get a DOS application
> natively running in linux.
>
> For those, who are interested, this is what this application is for:
>
> The application is for radio enthusiasts. It can recognize every radio
> transceiver with its transmission. This is because every radio transceiver has
> its very personally transient response, just like a fingerprint. This
> application gets its signal then from the if-module via the souzndcard and
> shows the very special transient response as a graphic. These graphic can be
> named and whenever the transceiver is sending again, it will be recognized.
> Very useful to recognize and rerecognize unwanted stations.
>
> I can send the app wherever you want to (attaching it here, does not allow to
> send the mail strangely), so everyone can take a look. This app is available
> in the web, but a little bit hidden, if you do not know its exactly name.
>
> The original author of the application has sadly passed by many years ago, but
> as I said, it is GPL. If someone is bored, he can do with it, whatever he
> wants.
>
> Long text, short question: As I am no coder, though I would like to know, how
> much time (roughly estimated, not exactly!) an experienced coder would need
> and if this would be possible at all. How many hours do you think? Is DOS C
> and Linux C compatible, so that such thing could be easy?
>
> I will be happy of all feedback!
>
> Best regards

Hi Hans,

my understanding is that finger prints functionality is the most
important part for you. There are radio receiver applications for Linux.
Maybe it'll be easier needed functionality to be implemented to one of
existing applications.

Kind regards
Georgi