Re: ALSA plugins

Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was recently told that ALSA doesn't normally allow sharing a soundcard
> with two applications, but there are two ALSA plugins, dsnoop and dmix to
> share capture and playback respectively. I spent some time in searching the
> web for possible info on how to install or how to check if those plugins are
> installed, but did not find instructions. Any pointer in that direction?

The dmix plugin is installed by default.

$ aplay -L|grep dmix
dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=0

The dsnoop plugin is installed by default:
$ arecord -L|grep dsnoop
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=2

You configure them either in your systemwide /etc/asoundrc, or
your personal ~/.asoundrc

-dsr-