Re: ALSA plugins

On 11/22/21 1:04 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:

The dmix plugin is installed by default.

$ aplay -L|grep dmix
dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=0

The dsnoop plugin is installed by default:
$ arecord -L|grep dsnoop
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=2

You configure them either in your systemwide /etc/asoundrc, or
your personal ~/.asoundrc

Thanks. Here is what I got before adding a secondary sound-card device:

ham@localhost:~$ aplay -L|grep dmix
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
ham@localhost:~$ arecord -L|grep dsnoop
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
ham@localhost:~$

... and here is what I got after adding the secondary sound-card device:

ham@localhost:~$ aplay -L|grep dmix
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
dmix:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
ham@localhost:~$ arecord -L|grep dsnoop
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
dsnoop:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
ham@localhost:~$

Btw, there was no ~/.asoundrc in personal directory, and also no /etc/asoundrc (either before or after attaching the second card). Each sound card works well on its own, running different amateur radio protocols. The plan is to make the second card 'sharing' its function in between the protocol (application) it uses now *and* another one protocol that shall be also sent to the same card. However, up to now that added protocol/application returns an error msg telling that either record or playback device is already busy or not accessible in that card.

And then someone suggested me to check for dmix and dsnoop, as those plugins shall overcome that 'application sharing' issue.

Any idea?

Misko