Re: Light-Locker (Was Up-to-date Bullseye, Power Save turned ... Monitor off. ...)

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:58 AM Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:50 AM Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 12:17 AM Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 2:55 AM Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sb, 09 oct 21, 01:13:32, Kenneth Parker wrote:

> Thank you all for your responses.  Fortunately, somebody else, I think on
> an Ubuntu forum (that I had googled), someone mentioned issues with
> light-locker.  And that purging it solved the issue.
>
> So I tried that, with success!
>
> What is the purpose of Light-Locker anyway?

To lock your screen and keep it that way until the correct password is
provided.

This situation occurred again, yesterday and today on my OTHER Desktop Computer.  It also has the light-locker package installed.  Fortunately, on this other system, I found a work-around, which was to turn off the Monitor, leave it off for a while and turn it back on.  So I am still testing this.  (In other words, I have not purged light-locker yet).

I wonder if light-locker hits the Monitor in a bad way, when putting it in Sleep Mode?  I'll get the Source Package and examine it, in addition to conducting further testing.

Just in case any of you are interested in Recreating this, Install Bullseye, with xfce4 as Window Manager.
Go to Power Settings. /  Display.
For my test, I used 2 minutes on "Blank after", 5 Minutes for "Put to sleep", and 9 minutes for "Switch off".

Then, I come back in about 15 minutes.  :-)

I get a Flash, with something I might recognize as a Screen.  and then Screen off.  This is that OTHER Desktop, an HP Pavilion Desktop with an LG IPS 22MP56 Monitor.

Now, at this point, I *am* going to Purge light-locker on that Machine and let it go to Power Save again.  I am also pondering the Xorg.0.log to see if something obvious stands out.

(Sorry, I hit the wrong button last time).

There is a difference in this HP Pavilion.  I only had "Blank After" and "Switch off" set.   So the two machines weren't the same.  But now, I am running the Pavilion without Light-Locker installed.

Okay.  This worked.  It also didn't ask for a Password (which is the *reason* for light-locker).

Now, I am going back to the HP Elitedesk 705 G1.  I changed its "Put to sleep" to "Never" (which the Pavilion had).  So I want to see if using only "Blank after" and "Switch off" on the Elitedesk, if it recreates the situation.  So more testing.

Meanwhile, I also am examining the Source Code for light-locker.

I will return in a few hours.  Once again, thanks!

Kenneth Parker