Re: downgrade qt version from 5 to 4

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:56:06PM +0100, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> On 11/11/2021 14:20, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 02:10:40PM +0100, lina wrote:
> > > Thanks all for the input. My problem originated from after the system
> > > upgrade to bullseye, the gaussian view (gview) won't be able to show the
> > > result file.
>
> actually gview stands for G[tk] view (distributed in gvim package)

Gview in vim should countinue to work but ...

Not in this instance, this is GaussianView - a (very expensive) commercial
program for viewing chemistry "stuff". Actually, the main Gaussian product is
*hugely* expensive but has a 20 year licence term so is not bad for
the cost

Lina

My suggestion is that you talk to the person at your work/academic
institution who handles technical support and/or purchasing of this program
to ask them to contact the vendor. It may be that the vendor is not yet
up to date with Bullseye and still only supports Buster [in which case
it may be good to tell them it has < 1 year of full Debian support left.]
That would also explain why it is compiled against particular library
versions or whatever - and also why you need high performance graphics
to work well for you.

Likewise, with luck, you've got someone who will help with some technical
support at your workplace/institution. Ask around?

> > > As gview is an essential part in my work, these days my work is stranded
> > > due to it. I don't know how to fix it. Honestly.
> >
> > If this program doesn't work under bullseye, but is known to work under
> > buster, then I see three main courses of action from which you might
> > choose:
> >
> > 1) Buy a new computer, install buster on it, and use gview on this.
>
> you can also consider a remote computer.
>

> > 2) Install buster inside a chroot, or a virtual machine, or some other
> >     virtual layering technology, on your bullseye computer.  Run gview
> >     within the virtual buster environment.
>
> This looks the best solution here (for short and long term):
> https://wiki.debian.org/Schroot
>

> > 3) Reinstall buster instead of bullseye on your current machine.
>

> 4) dual boot: Buster / Bulleye (but heavy, so to avoid).
>

> > Once you've restored your ability to do your work, *then* you can try
> > to pursue long-term solutions so that you aren't stuck with a perpetual
> > out-of-date buster environment for this one program.
> >

> Cheers,
> Jerome
>
> --
> Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
> https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net
> AE28 AE15 710D FF1D 87E5  A762 3F92 19A6 7F36 C68B

Hope this helps someone,

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater