Problem with Synaptic

I am running buster on my Linux platform.

I have installed a new Brother Laser print using the current Brother

Linux installer.

The printer is working, but when I try running Synaptic I get an error:

E: The package brscan4 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an

archive for it.

E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.

I tried Goggling but didn't find any solutions. Then I tried

uninstalling the offending package and got an error:

comp@AbNormal:~/Downloads/Brother-MFC-L2710DW$ sudo ./uninstaller_brscan4

[sudo] password for comp:

dpkg: error processing package brscan4 (--purge):

  package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should

  reinstall it before attempting a removal

  brscan4

That failed. Finally,  I tried reinstalling with dpkg, which also

failed. The complete log is attached.

At this point I am completely beyond my depth in even starting to

understand the error messages, let alone solving it.

Help will be much appreciated.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.

(614)312-7528

Skype: smolnar1