Re: Occasional failure of X to start

Hi,

Richmond wrote:
> It seems so. I hadn't noticed it was always on a Sunday but could be.

So it looks really like bug 948346.
(My unqualified theory is that xdm writes a log message line which
triggers the log rotation before xdm has prepared for catching and
processing signal USR2. This would explain why the rotate can reliably
hit the short timespan when xdm is vulnerable.)

Consider to send a mail to 948346@bugs.debian.org saying that you
experience the problem too.
Eduard Bloch, a (former ?) Debian Developer, seems to have a workaround
but Julien Cristau (current Debian Developer of xdm ?) seems not to accept
it.
Maybe more bug confirmations can help Edi's workaround to get in.

> I should configure logrotate /etc/logrotate.d/xdm remove weekly and put
> size=1G then hopefully it won't happen for a few years?

Looks worth a try. If it works, then consider to mention it in your mail
to 948346@bugs.debian.org .

Have a nice day :)

Thomas