Debian and FSF docs (was: Man pages for gcc)

> This is because GNU releases their documentation under a different license
> than their source code.  And Debian considers the GNU documentation
> license to be non-free (rightly so, because it prohibits distributing
> modified versions).

FWIW, it's not nearly as clear cut as you make it sound, because it does
not prevent distribution of all modified versions.

It does require one particular section to be kept unmodified (IIRC it's
the section that promotes the FSF philosophy), but the bulk is Free in
the usual sense of allowing redistribution of modified versions.

I find this state of affair rather sad and am disappointed by both
Debian and the FSF for not finding a compromise.  It ends up promoting
the use of the non-free repository, which I think neither project wants.

        Stefan