Re: Man pages for gcc

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 04:58:34PM -0400, Paul M. Foster wrote:
> I'm sure everyone but me knows this, but I can't find a man page for gcc.
> There must be some docs somewhere. First question: why isn't there a man
> page? Second question: what docs are available (or what package provides
> them)? Running Debian 11.

The documentation for gcc is in a separate package, in the non-free
section.

unicorn:~$ apt-cache show gcc-doc
Package: gcc-doc
Source: gcc-doc-defaults (5:21)
Version: 5:10.1.0-1
[...]
Depends: gcc-10-doc (>= 10.1.0-1~)
[...]
Section: contrib/doc

unicorn:~$ apt-cache show gcc-10-doc
[...]
Section: non-free/doc

This is because GNU releases their documentation under a different license
than their source code.  And Debian considers the GNU documentation
license to be non-free (rightly so, because it prohibits distributing
modified versions).