Re: Issue with kernel 5.10.0-9-*?

Am Montag, 11. Oktober 2021, 10:59:39 CEST schrieb Hans:
So I am answering myself.

Yesterday I got a new display and could reanimate my notebook. Thus I did some
testing, and yes, the issue with 5.10.0-9-* is still existent. Going back to
0-8- let this issue disappear.

But I got new informations: The kernel module which is responsible for that,
is ath5k.ko (This is an Atheros card). Normally the wireless LED only blinks,
when there is real traffic aimed to my IP. However, with 0-9- the LED is
permanently blinking.

I could verify, that it is no traffic created by the notebook itself (used
tcpdump) and killed all network processes (daemons/apps whatever) running on
the system.

But even when there were no processes running except the one needed for the
connection with the router, the LED kept on blinking.

Further investigation showed, that the blinking appeared due to the broadcast
packages sent by the router. The wireless card thinks, this is normal traffic
and the LED blinks.

This is bad for me, as the LED was in the past often a good sign, when
soemthing fishy is going on. If the LED is only blinking from time to time,
everything is ok, but when it was blinking som,ething special is going on
(i.e. an update is running or freshclam is updating, but also some brute force
attacks could also be discovered.)

So, I would like the old behaviour back! Maybe this could be reverted? Should
I file a bugreport? Or maybe is this already known?

Maybe someone could confirm this, too, or might have been not noticed yet, and
could have an eye on his system. Would be nice, before I file a bugreport.

I also saw, there is kernel-5.14*-bpo* (I believe bpo stands for
"backported"?), did not test this kernel, but if 5.14 will become stable, this
issue might be already fixed in this version. Dunno....

Thank you very much for reading this and any hints.

Best regards

Hans