Re: Trouble using SDXC 128GB card

On Tue 26 Oct 2021 at 15:41:33 (+0000), Musbur wrote:
> I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad T480s. Recently I bought a SanDisk Extreme
> Pro 128GB SDXC card for my digital camera, but I quickly found out that
> the system can't work with that card. It show up as /dev/sdb, I can use
> fdisk and everything without error, but when remove and re-insert the
> card, the partition table is gone. When I boot the computer in Win10
> (latest version), the card shows up as 'SDXC' but cannot be accessed.
> The camera can format, read and write just fine.

Perhaps the first thing to figure out is the filesystem being used
by the camera, otherwise I assume the card is useless. The default fs
for such a card is exFAT, and the camera might just force that to
be the case if it dislikes what you feed it.

> According to the specs, the builtin card reader of the T480s is SDXC
> compatible. Is there a driver for Linux that can make this card work?
> The BIOS of the computer has just been updated a week ago. Is the
> hardware just not compatible?

The kernels in bullseye support exFAT, but older releases will require
the exfat-fuse and exfat-utils packages. Apparently bullseye can still
use exfat-fuse with the new exfatprogs package, but I've not tried
that.¹

> Needless to say, my SDHC cards (up to 32GB) work fine in this machine.

Yes, because they're probably formatted as vfat.

¹ I toyed with exFAT as a Windows/linux shared backup format, but the
  advantages weren't sufficient to counter the complications.

Cheers,
David.