Re: GUI browser in VNC

On 10/20/2021 4:01 PM, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
On 10/20/2021 4:06 AM, Julius Hamilton wrote:
Hey,

I’d like to run a desktop in VNC and open GUI browsers like Firefox in it.

I succeeded in setting up the VNC server but after installing Firefox, Chromium and Chrome I find they don’t open when I launch them.

Is this because I am root user?

Is it just because you should always run browsers as non-root?

Thanks very much,
Julius

I use the tigervnc-standalone-server package for VNC access. It allows
a VNC server to be run as a normal user. It works fine with firefox on
my system.

Set up the VNC password and the xstartup script in the $HOME/.vnc
configuration directory. The package provides tools such as vncpasswd
to help set it up, and you can set the xstartup script to start any
installed desktop environment. I have used it with gnome, lxde, and
lxqt and it works fine. I don't think the package provides encrypted
connections, though,

Actually, looking at the man pages for tigervncserver, there are
options to provide encrypted connections using X509 certs or
TLS. This would also presumably require the VNC viewer
to support X509 or TLS security, but I have not tried it.

After installing and configuring it, start the server as an ordinary user:

$ vncserver -geometry 1024x768

You can adjust the geometry as desired and connect to it from any
VNC viewer.

Also, as normal (non-root) user, you stop it with:
$ vncserver -kill :1

Cheers,

Chuck