Re: GUI browser in VNC

On 10/20/2021 4:06 AM, Julius Hamilton wrote:
Hey,

I’d like to run a desktop in VNC and open GUI browsers like Firefox in it.

I succeeded in setting up the VNC server but after installing Firefox, Chromium and Chrome I find they don’t open when I launch them.

Is this because I am root user?

Is it just because you should always run browsers as non-root?

Thanks very much,
Julius

I use the tigervnc-standalone-server package for VNC access. It allows
a VNC server to be run as a normal user. It works fine with firefox on
my system.

Set up the VNC password and the xstartup script in the $HOME/.vnc
configuration directory. The package provides tools such as vncpasswd
to help set it up, and you can set the xstartup script to start any
installed desktop environment. I have used it with gnome, lxde, and
lxqt and it works fine. I don't think the package provides encrypted
connections, though, so I only use it on a trusted private network
or with a VPN that provides security and encryption.

After installing and configuring it, start the server as an ordinary user:

$ vncserver -geometry 1024x768

You can adjust the geometry as desired and connect to it from any
VNC viewer.

I also use Xen and Xen's built-in VNC server also works fine with
firefox in my experience - Xen's built-in VNC server allows access
to Debian running in Xen unprivileged domains from any VNC
viewer, but that is probably a niche use case.

Cheers,

Chuck