Re: wpa supplicant not starting - code 1...........

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 12:39:41PM +1100, Charlie wrote:

> 	On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:31:16 -0400 Henning Informed me about
> 	Re: wpa supplicant not starting - code 1...........
>
> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:14:05PM +1100, Charlie wrote:
> > >
> > > 	From my keyboard:
> > >
> > > 	Hello,
> > >
> > > 	If someone has an idea about this error message after
> > > suspend can you please give me a hint as to what is causing it:
> > >
> > > wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
> > > run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return
> > > code 1
> > >
> > > Since Bullseye went stable on my Dell Inspiron laptop I have had
> > > some problems. The above is the latest. It happens randomly and
> > > there is no way of duplicating it.
> > >
> > > I have googled this, but tried some of the suggestions without
> > > getting wpa supplicant to work again except by rebooting the laptop?
> > >
> > > Can someone tell me what "code 1" is please?
> > >

> > You clearly hacked together something unusual there. To being helped,
> > you have to provide more information.
> > Is there any log entry?
> > Please post the pre-up script.
> > Is there a particular reason why you configured the wifi this way?
> >
> > -H
>

> Absolutely standard vanilla install and use from Bulleye when it was
> testing. It happened a couple of random times in testing as well. But
> that was testing, so just rebooted.
>
> No hacking done at all. Some mention on the web:
>

> https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145175

Well,
that is wifi configuration in /e/n/i
Can you please then post the stanza for your wifi?

The code 1 is pretty generic.
/etc/wpa_supplicant/ifupdown.sh pretty much
throws an exit code 1 for all unsuccessful cases.

> Not in any way applicable
>
> Looked for fresher information, didn't find it.
>
> Think it might be hardware.

That might be. I do have frequently trouble with an old
powerbook pro. I think it is the power management causing
trouble.

> Have had other hardware issues, so think this Dell laptop might be a
> lemon. Ce la vie

Have you ever tried to use the network manager?
For that you have to comment out the stanza for your
wifi in /e/n/i

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com