Re: Intrinsic problem with netinst.iso?

On 10/13/2021 12:35 PM, Tixy wrote:
On Wed, 2021-10-13 at 17:09 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 08:51:28AM -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:

On 10/13/21 8:16 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
It appears to me that netinst.iso assumes that there are *exactly* two
choices for internet connectivity:
    an ethernet device
           *OR*
           WiFi

However, I use a USB device [ an Alcatel Linkzone from T-Mobile ]
The installer is unable to see the internet.

are you using the nonfree firmware ISO?

I have had no troubles with multiple installs, but I only use the nonfree

Firmware iso is what I would suggest.

I suspect firmware isn't an issue. The device probably works as CDC
Ethernet (don't know if installer kernel has the cdc_ether driver), but
sounds like the device initially presents itself as a USB mass storage
device and needs some way to force it to change modes.

I've never heard of "CDC Ethernet" and what I found with a quickie web search wasn't very useful.

What I see when Debian boots does not have any obvious conflict with what I see. If the Linkzone is already plugged in when boot begins it appears to be caught in a loop. As soon as the Linkzone is unplugged the boot completes as expected. Plug it back back in and I have immediate internet access.

Where would I descriptive information about "CDC Ethernet"?
I found bits of discussion about it but nothing educational.
TIA