Intrinsic problem with netinst.iso?

It appears to me that netinst.iso assumes that there are *exactly* two choices for internet connectivity:
   an ethernet device
          *OR*
          WiFi

However, I use a USB device [ an Alcatel Linkzone from T-Mobile ]
The installer is unable to see the internet.

Based on using that device on all of my Debian machines, I believe the problem is how Debian negotiates with a USB device and that the Linkzone resembles a disk drive until the negotiations have been completed.

My evidence is how GParted responds to a USB flash drive.
If the flash drive is inserted first, it is /dev/sdb .
Else if the Linkzone is inserted first, the flash drive is identified as /dev/sdc .

Is there any workaround?
TIA