Re: Sleep mode in Surface Pro 4 and Debian 11

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 12:09:24PM +0200, nmanca wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I installed a debian 11 system on a Surface Pro 4 following the instruction
> from the https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface, I'm now thus using
> the "-surface" kernel version.
>
> Everything work quite ok, but I'm having problems with the suspend.
>
> If the Surface is on battery power, suspend works.
> If it's on battery power, it does not wake up opening the cover or pressing
> the power button. I have to force a hard shutdown by pressing the power
> button.
>
> I don't know if the problem is "real" or maybe is just the screen that does
> not recover. However, the diffrence between power plugged/unplugged is
> strange and I don't know how to debug it. I inspected the dmesg, the only
> difference is that when it is on battery, the last message after the failing
> wake up is:
>
> PM: suspend entry (s2idle)
>
> This is absent if on battery, when the wake up works. the rest is the same,
> apparently.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicola

Hi Nicola,

This is very new hardware: the github project is still under active development.

Since you're using the -surface kernel, it's possibly we can't help.

We'll help where we can but this is probably a kernel/hardware combination we
don't have to hand.

All the best,

Andy Cater