Re: Sleep mode in Surface Pro 4 and Debian 11

On 07/10/2021 13:53, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 12:09:24PM +0200, nmanca wrote:
Dear list,

I installed a debian 11 system on a Surface Pro 4 following the instruction
from the https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface, I'm now thus using
the "-surface" kernel version.

Everything work quite ok, but I'm having problems with the suspend.

If the Surface is on battery power, suspend works.
If it's on battery power, it does not wake up opening the cover or pressing
the power button. I have to force a hard shutdown by pressing the power
button.

I don't know if the problem is "real" or maybe is just the screen that does
not recover. However, the diffrence between power plugged/unplugged is
strange and I don't know how to debug it. I inspected the dmesg, the only
difference is that when it is on battery, the last message after the failing
wake up is:

PM: suspend entry (s2idle)

This is absent if on battery, when the wake up works. the rest is the same,
apparently.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Nicola

Hi Nicola,

This is very new hardware: the github project is still under active development.

Since you're using the -surface kernel, it's possibly we can't help.

We'll help where we can but this is probably a kernel/hardware combination we
don't have to hand.

All the best,

Andy Cater

Hi Andy,

don't worry, I just hope thay what I wrote could ring a bell in someone's head :D

In case, some help to debug the problem would be also greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Nicola