Re: Privacy and defamation of character on Debian public forums

On 9/26/2021 7:28 AM, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
On 9/26/2021 7:18 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Saturday, September 25, 2021 12:58:44 PM Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
I am truly sorry, are there second chances in the Debian Community?
I hope and trust so -- I've had to make use of them more than once ;-)

... That is why defamation is not the only
issue to discuss here. The other is privacy and whether or
not Debian volunteers can discuss matters privately or does
every criticism we have about another person need to
be expressed in the public forums?
Things certainly can be discussed privately, but (1) not everyone immediately thinks of that under all circumstances.  (And may either (2) consider the criticism (if it is that) to be so mild it doesn't require private discussion, or (3) is useful for the entire list, and thus useful to be public rather than
private.  (In that situation (3) (or (2)), it would be nice if it were
discussed in private first as an extra element of courtesy, but see (1).

Have a good day!

May I add (4) not everyone immediately thinks (or agrees) that it is not good to just include a link without also posting the relevant text from that link.
I think posting the link with a summary of other relevant information
is sufficient. I respect that opinion of the poster of message #10 of my bug, but I don't think I must agree with it. Now I know that's what he expects,
and I will try to remember that in future interactions with him.

All the best,

Chuck

Also, other people might be offended if I posted the link and did what
the author of #10 wanted me to do, also include the relevant text
of the link. What effect does that have? Suppose someone reads the link
and then comes back to my message and finds repeated what I
already said in the link. He/she becomes annoyed that I
wasted her/his time. When I was formulating my initial bug report,
how was I supposed to know how the author of message #10
wanted me to create my bug report?

Cheers,

Chuck