Re: Privacy and defamation of character on Debian public forums

On Saturday, September 25, 2021 12:58:44 PM Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> I am truly sorry, are there second chances in the Debian Community?

I hope and trust so -- I've had to make use of them more than once ;-)

> ... That is why defamation is not the only
> issue to discuss here. The other is privacy and whether or
> not Debian volunteers can discuss matters privately or does
> every criticism we have about another person need to
> be expressed in the public forums?

Things certainly can be discussed privately, but (1) not everyone immediately
thinks of that under all circumstances.  (And may either (2) consider the
criticism (if it is that) to be so mild it doesn't require private discussion,
or (3) is useful for the entire list, and thus useful to be public rather than
private.  (In that situation (3) (or (2)), it would be nice if it were
discussed in private first as an extra element of courtesy, but see (1).

Have a good day!