Re: foolish problem with installer: can't load firmware

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 08:14:25PM -0400, lou wrote:

> On 9/21/21 3:49 PM, piorunz wrote:
> >.
> >Many Linux distributions are made that way. After all, we want to come
> >away from closed source software. Debian tries to avoid all closed
> >source and/or non-free software, as per The Debian Free Software
> >Guidelines (DFSG):
> >
> >https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
> >

> Thanks to all that reply!
>
> i still prefer official image

We all prefer official image. It is on us all to put some
pressure on hardware vendors to make that possible!

To offer another perspective: each official Debian package
has a maintainer, meaning that there is someone who can look
at the source code and fix problems for us. Since the software
contained in those packages is free, you, too, can give them
to your friends (and modify them to help your friends).

With non-free packages, they can't look into the source or
fix things, so they can't give you the same kind of
warrantees. Besides, the license perhaps forbids you from
modifying that software or giving it to your friends.

So it makes sense to have an unofficial repository, as a
heads-up to you: "careful: this one doesn't come with the
usual Debian warrantees: talk to Nvidia, or whatever vendor
to see what you are allowed to do".

> but it will be long time before i use installer again

Who knows :)

> PS: i think we've been using firmware without source code all the
> time, no matter how serious you are about open source. these
> firmware are installed somewhere in hardware. using only free
> software/firmware don't seem practical

Of course. Lots and lots. This doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Think of that American tractor company (John Deere) where you
can't exchange parts yourself because the built-in software will
notice and refuse to work. And changing that would be a copyright
violation... Think of those inkjet cartridges which have a chip
to stop you from refilling them with your own ink.

Taking always the "practical" route will lead us into full
dependency on three to four big corporations in a very short
time. We as consumers do have a bit of responsibility, too.

End or lecture ;-D

Cheers
 - t