Re: Can surf the internet, but not my home network...

On 9/16/21 12:40 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Mi, 15 sep 21, 17:48:39, Hans wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2021, 16:41:21 CEST schrieb nimrod:
Hi,

got the same problem, when the ethernet interface is up, too and I am on wifi.
This a problem with the gateway settings.

Unless my understanding of local networks is wrong, the gateway is not
involved in communication between hosts in the same subnet.

Many residential/ SOHO Internet gateways a combination devices -- firewall, router, DHCP server, DNS caching proxy, switch, Wi-Fi access point, etc..

When LAN and/or Wi-Fi clients whose network interfaces are configured with DHCP want to communicate with each other, the gateway provides the information required to initiate that communication (e.g. DNS lookup, IP addresses, MAC addresses, etc.), in addition to switching/ sending/ receiving packets. Everything should "just work".

But, a client with a manually configured network interface (e.g. "static IP") will be unknown to the gateway, and therefore unknown to DHCP clients. The details of the manual configuration determine failure modes, which may be asymmetric.

"Networking for System Administrators" by Lucas is excellent:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking#n4sa

David