Re: How to avoid systemd/udev unpredictable NIC names

On Mon, 2021-08-30 at 20:26 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 01:44:09AM +0200, Steve Keller wrote:
[...]
> > Actually, I don't know this.  When I wrote unpredictable new naming
> > scheme I meant systemd's enp<pci-bus>s<slot> scheme, since it's
> > unpredictable for me as long as I don't learn these numbers for my
> > mainboard and PCI card config.
> >
> > Why is systemd-udevd unqualified for this jobs?
>
> Because PCI slot numbers change.  They can change when you add a device,
> or remove a device (even if they're not network interfaces), or upgrade
> your motherboard firmware.
>
> These names are not "predictable" because they're based on the PCI slot
> number, which is not stable.

Or 'Firmware/BIOS provided index numbers for on-board devices' [1]

I found this out when I decided to enable motherboard WiFi in the BIOS
settings on my new desktop PC and this caused my ethernet to stop
working. Upon investigation I found the ethernet was now called 'eno2'
and the Debian installer had put 'eno1' in /etc/network/interfaces
because I had installed with WiFi disabled.

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

--
Tixy