Re: How to avoid systemd/udev unpredictable NIC names

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:27:57AM +0300, IL Ka wrote:

> > This gives unpredictable results if the system has more than one
> > ethernet interface, or more than one wireless interface.
> >
> > It's fine on systems that have 0-1 ethernet and 0-1 wireless NICs.
> >

> Isn't that what the topic starter asked about?:)

I sincerely hope that the OP will tell us how many ethernet interfaces
their "server" has, so we can stop the hypothetical tennis match.

> To make names predictable one can either leave everything as-is and let
> `systemd-udev` do its job, or create custom naming scheme using "link"
> files:
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.net-naming-scheme.html
> https://systemd.io/PREDICTABLE_INTERFACE_NAMES/
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.link.html

I advocated creating the .link files in my original message.  I even
gave examples.

I do *not* advocate "letting systemd-udevd do its job", because it's
absolutely unqualified for duty.  The names it chooses are *not*
predictable.  The OP knew this.  I can tell by their wording.

I do *not* advocate using "net.ifnames=0" *unless* the system is known
to have fewer than 2 ethernet interfaces *and* fewer than 2 wireless
interfaces.