Re: Tips/advice for installing latest version of fzf?

On 2021-08-31 at 10:58, Steve Dondley wrote:

> OK, so I dropped the new fzf into /usr/local/bin. I confirmed it is the
> correct version with:
>
> admin@ip-172-30-0-226 /usr/local/bin
>> $ ./fzf --version
> 0.27.2 (e086f0b)
>
> "echo $PATH" reports:
>
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
>
> So it looks like any binary in /usr/local/bin should load first.
>
> However, "which fzf" reports the /usr/bin as the location:
>
> /usr/bin/fzf
>
> I'm using zsh.
>
> What am I missing?

This sounds like a stale-hash situation. According to my understanding,
the shell will typically keep a cache of what path it found a given
command at when it checked for that command in $PATH, so it doesn't have
to re-do the filesystem accesses on every run of the command; this
mapping of known paths to commands is apparently referred to as a set of
hashes.

I'm not familiar with zsh, but in bash, you could try 'hash -d fzf' to
drop the cached known path for fzf (so that the next check will look it
up again from scratch), or even 'hash -r' to forget *all* the known
paths for everything.

I remember reading once upon a time about a command called 'rehash'
which would cause the shell to re-check all its cached paths for
everything, but that hasn't been available in any *nix environment I've
ever actually been running, as far as I'm aware.

--
   The Wanderer