Re: Tips/advice for installing latest version of fzf?

Either way, the simplicity of the tool (in terms of it being a single
binary artifact that is deployed) makes it unlikely that you would
encounter any issues in doing this.

Regards,

-Roberto

OK, thank you, Roberto.

fzf comes with some shell integration tools like key bindings that can
be installed according to the DEBIAN readme at
/usr/share/doc/fzf/README.Debian. I'd prefer to keep those if at all
possible. Based on what you are telling me, maybe I could try
replacing the current binary with the newer one and keep the
supporting debian package files in place.

I can't think of what harm could come from trying it to see if it
works but I'm not very knowledgeable. So if this sounds like a really
dumb idea, just let me know.

OK, this is even easier than I thought.

1) I copied /usr/bin/fzf to /usr/bin/fzf to /usr/bin/fzf~
2) Downloaded binary already available at https://github.com/junegunn/fzf/releases
3) Moved binary to /usr/bin/fzf

Everything appears to work just fine. Key bindings still work.

Now I'm just wondering if it would be better to keep the old fzf around and put the new fzf into a directory that $PATH loads before /usr/bin. I'm thinking this might be the proper way of doing this instead of my quick hack.