Re: Get Terminal to Echo line in buffer on backspace

David Wright (12021-08-31):
> The only useful effect of that binding that I've seen is not when
> typing ahead, but at the normal command line

Of course. When typing ahead, your shell's line editor is not in action,
and therefore its bindings will have no effect immediately. They will
have an effect when the interactive shell resumes and received the
keystrokes.

Before that, you are running with the tty's line editor, and therefore
its bindings are the one in action. See the output of stty -a.

The behavior of ttys is one of the trickiest part of Unix's user
interface, and we are directly dealing with it here. Be sure you
understand what is going on and who is doing what task; otherwise you
will be utterly confused.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George