Re: Get Terminal to Echo line in buffer on backspace

Greg Wooledge (12021-08-30):
> What you want to do is redraw the current command.  The easiest way to
> do this is to press Ctrl-L.  (Or if you're in vi mode, ESC Ctrl-L, and
> then you'll need to go back to command mode.)
>
> This clears the whole screen, though.  So if there's information you
> need to preserve, take that into account.

With Zsh, there is the "redisplay" zle command, it does exactly that:
redraw the prompt and command without clearing the screen.

I do not know if readline, used by bash, has the same feature available.

As I said, without a line editor (dash for example), it is a feature of
the terminal, usually invoked with ^R.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George