Get Terminal to Echo line in buffer on backspace

Hello Debian Users,

Maybe someone can help a brother out.

I would really like to be able to use terminal in such a way that when I
backspace, it will echo the line I am currently typing

1. say if I am receiving data into the terminal window, and

2. I have *not* pressed carriage return.

My issue is: if I am typing to terminal, while receiving data, and I
backspace -- I just don't know how far I have backspaced, I have to guess.

I think years ago, someone helped me add a line to my user bash settings.

If someone is familiar with how Mac's terminal emulator works, I would
like it to be like that.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Neo