Re: How to avoid systemd/udev unpredictable NIC names

On 30/08/2021 23:20, Steve Keller wrote:
't want to have to remember this hardware
configurationan and I don't want to type these cumbersome and error
prone names.  I simply have eth0 for the internal network and eth1 for
my external network to the DSL router.  That's easy and I want to keep
it that way.

The Debian wiki	on this	shows several ways involving kernel cmdline,
udev, and systemd.  I've read it, I've also read some of the sparse
and incomplete systemd documentation for almost an hour.  Still I
don't know when and what software component (kernel, udev, systemd)
decides the NIC names and whether and in which way these conflict each
other. [1]

Also, after reading the	wiki it's still	unclear	to me, which of	the
several ways will survive the next upgrade to bullseye.

The safest way seems to	be what's called "Custom schemes" but this
section explicitly states the names eth0, etc. shouldn't be used.

So I'm still confused what to do after the upgrade to buster to	keep
my network names.

Steve

In my opinion explicit naming via systemd is the best:

 #/etc/systemd/network/10-persistent-net.link
 [Match]
 MACAddress=01:23:45:67:89:ab

 [Link]
 Name=eth1