Re: old handicam movie camera and kino

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 12:18:46PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 04:55:46AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > But if I try to unmute the audio, I get a steady stream of can't
> > open /dev/dsp so I'm still missing an audio codec I think.
>
> Can't-open-permission-denied or can't-open-no-such-file-or-directory?

You're absolutely correct that Gene should try to get in the habit
of including *useful* information in his help requests.  This includes
exact error messages.

In this case, we can probably guess that he's missing the OSS emulation
layer.  He's probably running something so incredibly old that it
*actually* still tries to use OSS -- thus the attempts to open /dev/dsp.

unicorn:~$ ls -l /dev/dsp
ls: cannot access '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory

To solve that, he might try installing this guy:

unicorn:~$ apt-cache search alsa dsp
alsa-oss - ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
[...]

I can't claim any personal experience with it, though.  I don't know
what steps are required beyond installing the package.